Sunday, November 5, 2017

Female Comedians

I've mentioned in many posts that all I want to do in life is make people laugh. Instead of talking about myself, I want to give you all the gift of laughter. The entertainment business is a male dominated world, which has been demonstrated recently. My improv teacher told one of my peers, woman to woman, that if we want the scene, we have to take it. Otherwise, as a woman, we will always be put in the position of the mother, or the sister. Some type of submissive, female, character. This applies to life too. If you don't go for what you want, a man is going to upstage you. It's the society we live in. To give you some inspiration, I want to tell you about my favorite female comedians because I hope to someday embody the amazing-ness that they exert onto their audiences.

We're going to begin with an obvious one, Amy Poehler. Jesus Christ Superstar this lady is hilarious. If you haven't read her book, I will lend you my personal copy because EVERYONE needs to read it. She's one of the earliest female comedians I remember. My dad and I used to watch her all the time on SNL and would regularly view her early stuff on the show. This lady is not afraid of making a fool out of her self and is sure as hell not afraid of a man upstaging her. She steals every scene she is in. If you haven't seen Parks And Recreation then you are missing out. I found it to be slow at first but this show is one of the greatest shows to ever be on TV. Just the premise of it is amazing and the supporting cast is unbelievable. Amy Poehler makes me laugh no matter what and I strive to be like her.
To continue, let's talk about her Partner In Crime, Tina Fey. These two ladies make me laugh when they perform apart, but when they're together, I'm on the floor and can't breathe because I laugh so hard. Tina's book, Bossypants, is so well written and very inspirational I laughed at all her creatively positioned jokes and related to some of her troubles as a teen. I see myself being like her when I'm older and that's why I feel I like her so much. She carried 30 Rock season after season and I cannot wait to watch her show, Great News. Additionally, she was an SNL writer way before she appeared in front of the camera. These two women are two of the greatest people to ever grace Saturday Night Live. In a male dominated industry, they're on top.

Amy Schumer is not my favorite but she sure is funny. I don't find her movies funny, nor do I find her Netflix stand up specials funny, but her social media presence and interviews tickle my fancy. She's a riot on instagram and twitter and does anything for a laugh. I love her "fuck it" attitude and confidence. I haven't read her book yet but it's on my list. I like her better when she's just thinking off her feet in an unscripted situation. Like when she is a guest on a late show. She was great on Saturday Night Live though. She pushes boundaries, and I love that.

Jen Kirkman's Netflix stand-up special is amazing. She talks about how she basically models her life after Matthew Mcconaughey's line in Dazed and Confused, "Just Keep Livin'". She has JKL tattooed on her body. I'm not gonna lie, I'm thinking about it too. She's a regular on Chelsea Lately and an overall funny woman. I'll be honest, I haven't seen too much of her stuff but what I have seen, hilarious.  She also has a book that I intend on reading. I'll keep you updated.

Jessi Klein wrote one of my favorite books, You'll Grow Out Of It. I saw my friend Ava reading it at camp last summer and I had to try it out. It was AMAZING. She's hilarious and can really appeal to the reader. AND JEWISH. She also is the voice of Jessi on the new animated show on Netflix, Big Mouth. This show is awesome. Great cast, great storylines, amazing writing. It's SO stupid that is works. I keep telling my mom she would like it because she enjoys raunchy humor but she's on a "no animation" policy when it comes to TV shows.

I've been writing this article for a while now because I wanted to show the world that women can be funny! It seems like men dominate the comedy world but there are some hilarious women out there. It may take longer for us to reach our peak, but we'll get the laugh eventually. And once it starts, it never stops.

I've said before that all I have ever wanted to do is make people laugh. These women inspire me with everything I do. Oh, also obviously my mother and sister are pretty funny. My dad is a hoot too. You can't even imagine how our family dinners go...

I hope I can convince you to read these ladies' books and watch their stuff! If you need more convincing or more funny shows or comedy specials to watch in general let me know because I watch a TON of them. It's good to laugh. It makes you live longer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment